Skip to main content

English is a wonderful and rich language

Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.








English is a rich and complex language. It can also be confusing, particularly when a change in emphasis, where the spelling is the same, or with the addition or deletion of just one letter can change alter the whole meaning of the word. An example of this happened to me only yesterday (5th March) when I had an appointment with a consultant at a local hospital. I had arranged this appointment over the telephone a couple of days earlier, following a conversation with my GP. She had advised me to make the necessary arrangements and that her referral letter would be sent to the hospital through the post as normal.
Arriving at the hospital in good time, I completed the usual formalities of confirming my registration on their system and awaited the call. The consultant duly arrived and conducted me through to his consulting room where we sat down and commenced the appointment. I described to him the symptoms which I had related to my GP previously as the referral letter had not actually arrived, but he did however have a rather smudged and ink stained fax, which contained a brief summary of my medical records.
After a while with a broad smile on his face, he stopped me in mid sentence and enquired whether my referral was to neurology or urology. It seems that during the telephone conversation with the reception and appointments desk some 36 hours before, a mistake or misunderstanding or mishearing had occurred and I was now in the presence of a consultant urologist. We both had a good laugh at the situation, as I commented that it was indeed fortunate that he had not already commenced a physical examination of the “problem”.
We have now resolved the confusion and I shall be seeing a consultant neurologist next week.
English is a wonderful and rich language made even more complicated when a case of mishearing words enters the equation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northern Ireland and Brexit. The return of "The Troubles"

Northern Ireland: police attacked in another night of disturbances | Northern Ireland | The Guardian When the "Brexit" debate was still filling our newspapers and our television screens, readers may remember why I had changed my mind since voting to leave at the referendum vote. Apart from the economic arguments, which had become crystal clear after peeling away all the lies and misrepresentations trotted out by Bozo Boris and his "Get Brexit Done" conspirators, there was always the problem of the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. Would it be possible to have a border between the European Union and the United Kingdom where people, goods and services could pass freely between the two nations without customs restrictions, tariffs, duties and all the other formalities? Would it be possible to have one part of the United Kingdom treated differently from other parts of the United Kingdom, particularly when Scotland for example had voted overwhe...

The writing on the wall

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-government-zero-hour-contract-ban-latest-a9257281.html?fbclid=IwAR0OW6qhoVnO9MVH-E9ruKFLnL_V3NQ5PMpYEkGGHEXskJxkAsrr2UJjRIs Two-thirds of voters want  Boris Johnson ‘s government to ban zero-hours contracts, a poll has found. There will be many people over the coming months and years who will tell the "pollsters" that something should be done about the homeless, or the costs of electric, gas and water, or about the costs of public transport, or the failing (and privatised) NHS, or the excessive profits and tax avoidance of large corporations. etc. To all those I say, that if you did not vote Labour then you have only yourselves to blame and you must bear the consequences of your actions. Johnson a nd his sycophant cronies have been given a blank cheque to do as they please and sell off vast portions of the British economy to the Americans, (the takeover of British defence giant Cobham by a US private equi...

Greed and envy are good says Boris Johnson.

  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/embrace-culture-of-greed-says-boris-johnson-8968276.html Embrace culture of greed, says Boris Johnson Boris Johnson.  "I stress – I don't believe that economic equality is possible; indeed some measure of inequality is essential for the spirit of envy and keeping up with the Joneses that is, like greed, a valuable spur to economic activity." Johnson delivering the annual Margaret Thatcher lecture at the Centre for Policy Studies think-tank, Wednesday 27th November 2013 Boris Johnson seeks to emulate Thatcher. He appeals to the evil side of the "nasty" party, for a society where greed is good, where selfishness is encouraged, where division amongst people by envy and status is championed as a proper objective and where the excesses of business and government are regarded as appropriate and right for the advancement of the few at the expense of the many. Johnson is an evil man with evil intent...